Saturday, October 18, 2008

420w Journal#2


Explain , in a well-written paragraph, your different reasons for choosing to study English in the language program that you are in now.


In ELI, there are so many students from different countries to learn English, each person has one’s particular reasons. For me, the original reason is that I am a IGSPP student and learning English in ELI is a part of my program, however, I choose different courses with my own explanations. For reading, I choose academic reading to learn different attitudes about different kinds of science. I would like to study different opinions in science and find my own interests via my classes. It is very amazing. Meanwhile, I could learn different skills to improve your reading and speed my reading, such as surveying, chunking, reacting and scanning. These skills are very useful to improve my reading skills and stimulate my interest to learn. For writing, I also choose academic course. Not only I want to write some beautiful sentences but also I want to prepare my graduate studies. For graduate students, it is of great significance to write essays with formal and academic tones. It is very difficult to classify the formal and informal words, phrases, and sentences structures. For instance, When I express the meaning of having something, almost every time I use the sentence structure “ there be….”, I feel scared when I use it, but I have no idea what other structures I should write. Actually I like writing, in case I find some cliché sentences, I hate writing and it becomes a nightmare. Thus, I took academic writing to throw every boring sentences away. For speaking and listening, I took news and events. One is that I could know what had happened in those days, furthermore I could get topics when talk with native speakers. I could talk on the bus or on the bookstore. That gives me more opportunities to talk and talk. In addition, I will take TOEFL(IBT) exam, which are very concentrated on notes. I will learn the skills how to take notes. When I listen the news , I could take notes, which I could do a lot of exercises to practice my exam, besides that, the teacher could give me lots of advices on my notes. That will help me to make a great progress. In brief, I took these courses not only because these will improve my English fluency, but also it gives me a huge challenge to pass these courses with high marks. I will make a great effort to these courses.

4 comments:

Eilidh said...

it is interesting for me to read about your many reasons for choosing each of your classes. Learning another language and being able to express yourself well in it is a difficult task, but having have good, clear reasons will help your motivation.

Ueda Yukino said...

You are so good student, I thought when I read your article first. The motivation level is far higher than mine. I want you to keep it.
You said, "I have no idea what other structures I should write."
Yes! I feel that too, but we have to know that. In addition, to choose words for academic eriting is also difficult. We have same and difficult problems.
Anyway, please keep your motivation high and achieve the goal. You can do it!!

Ueda Yukino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SUN said...

every time when i read your paragraph, i always find some interesting feeling and a lot significant scentence. Looking forward to your next journal!